Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Wool Diaper Covers

I have heard great things about wool diaper covers and I wanted to try them, but they are really expensive to buy. I found a couple sites with patterns for making your own. These two are crochet patterns:

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/nov98_crochproject.html
http://www.tickleturdle.com/wrappattern.html

This is a pattern for making a wool cover out of an old sweater:

http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column2.html

I have tried the first crochet pattern, but I haven't tried the other two patterns yet.

The instructions for the first pattern were great - very clear and easy to follow. I first did the medium size and it was way too big for my six-month-old son. Then I redid it in the small size. I didn't like the frilly edge to the leg openings and they were a little too big so I just stitched a row around the leg opening and then stitched a second row where I skipped every fourth stitch to make the opening smaller.

Here is what it looks like.



I think it's really pretty. I love the yarn. It's Patons Classic Wool Merino yarn. I got some Eucalan No Rinse Wool Wash from nickisdiapers.com to soak the cover to restore the lanolin. I doubt the yarn still had lanolin in it.

I would like to try to adjust the pattern to change the fit if I can. The front comes up too far on my son's tummy and I folded it down. I'm not sure if I know how to adjust a crochet pattern to fix that though. I've only tried the cover twice and I may have felt a hint of dampness, but it was so slight that I'm not totally sure. So I guess I don't know for sure if it was waterproof. Maybe I need to soak it in the lanolin rinse some more. I don't really know a lot about wool covers, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I will have to try it some more. I also want to try the other patterns.




No comments: