Monday, February 25, 2008

Update on Stay-Dry Diaper

So after using the "stay-dry" diaper a few times I think it's starting to work. The last time he wore it the diaper was wet, but it hadn't leaked. I think the fleece just needed to be washed a few times before it would wick properly.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Not About Diapers

When I was pregnant I made curtains for the baby's room. I made them orange and green b/c we didn't know if he was a boy or a girl and I made them with bold colors instead of pastels b/c I know I won't make new curtains again for a long time and I didn't want it to look like a baby's room when he's older. After he was born, I made a quilt to match the curtains and I put some blue in it since he's a boy. And actually there were a few blue things here and there before b/c I just like blue. Anyway, this isn't about diapers, but it's about something I made, and I'm happy with the way the quilt turned out so I wanted to post it.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Stay-dry Diaper a Bust

So, I buy fleece at the fabric store and cut it to make liners for my diapers that wick moisture away from my baby's skin so it doesn't get irritated. So in my last post there is a picture of a diaper I made with the whole body of the inside of the diaper made of fleece. My attempt at a stay-dry diaper. Well, it doesn't work. The fleece I used just doesn't wick the moisture through to the absorbent fabric fast enough and the diaper leaks. Oh well, live and learn.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Trying More New Things

I've been doing more experimenting. I can't help myself. I'm addicted to trying new things.

With the first diaper I tried the birdseye fabric on the outside b/c I thought it might be soft and the snappi hooks to it easily. The inside is t-shirts. I used an old towel for the soaker. In another diaper where I used an old towel it worked well, but in this one it seemed to bunch a little. Hmm.

This second diaper is t-shirt and clearance cotton. I didn't sew in a soaker b/c for some reason I thought maybe I could make them faster if I made the body and the soakers separate and just laid the soaker in the diaper. It won't be faster, but I guess it's a nice experiment. I always use a fleece liner in my diapers to wick moisture away so I made one side of the soaker of fleece so it doubles as a liner.

This third diaper is t-shirt and clearance cotton with microfiber for the soaker. Microfiber really works the best b/c it's the least bunchy and most absorbent.

The last diaper also has a microfiber soaker. The body is three layers of t-shirt and the inner layer is fleece. I thought I'd try it to make it a "stay-dry" diaper.

I haven't tried the last three diapers yet so I don't know how they will work, but I'm curious to see how the sewn in fleece works.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Felted Wrap

I made another wool wrap with the tickle turdle pattern, but this time I made the large size and then I felted it (shrunk it on purpose). I wanted to try a felted wrap b/c it will be more waterproof since the fibers become matted together and it's softer. I was a little nervous b/c I was afraid I wouldn't like it, but I really do. So here's a picture of it before it was felted and after and a close-up of after. Here's the pattern link again: